Like many other body parts, your shoulders are engaged in several works and it definitely needs some time for relaxation. Since your shoulders are made up of two joints, it involves in various motions and helps in doing many activities. While this being the case, you have to regularly take up some effective shoulder exercises to keep your shoulders healthy and active thereby avoiding cramps and pains. And if you are recovering from any shoulder injury, you have to do exercises under the guidance of a physiotherapist. So, here are some simple shoulder exercises to practice in your home. Check out them and strengthen your shoulders!
PUSH-UPS: This is one of the popular forms of exercise that tone up your muscles and arms. All you have to do is to,
- Lie on the floor with your face downward and extend your legs back and place your palms slightly wider which would help balance your body.
- Make it straight so that your back would not be hurt.
- Now slowly inhale and bend your elbows and lower yourself until your elbows come at a 90-degree angle.
- Now breathe out and push yourself back up by reaching the starting position. It is better if you keep your elbows slightly bent during the workout.
- Repeat this exercise and remember not to lock the elbows.
UPWARD STRETCH: Here is yet another effective shoulder exercise that does not require any equipment.
- You gotta stand straight with your feet placed slightly apart and ensure to keep your arms on the side.
- Raise your arms overhead and chain up the finger and continue to do till you feel a stretch in the back and the shoulders.
- Now pause for a second and go back to the starting position and repeat it as per the suggestion.
- Also, make sure to keep your back straight during the exercise.
ARM CIRCLES: You might have taken it as a simple form of exercise but it has a greater impact on your shoulder.
- Stand straight with shoulder-width apart and try to extend your arms to the side in a straight line.
- Now rotate them in a clockwise direction for a few seconds and pause for a second.
- Repeat it in the opposite direction in order to complete a rep.
- Make sure that the arms are straight while you are practicing this exercise.
FRONT RAISES: If you have dumbbells, you could use them and if not, you could use water bottles.
- Hold the dumbbells or water bottles in both hands with a neutral grip.
- Start with the dumbbells in front of you and slowly raise them to just below the eye level.
- Just pause at the top and then slowly bring them down in a controlled motion.
- Repeat and do it slowly and steadily.
BENT-OVER ROWS: Like the previous one, stand with your feet slightly apart and start with dumbbells and water bottles.
- Bend the knees slightly and hold dumbbells in both hands with a grip.
- Hinge forward from the hips as if your torso is parallel to the floor.
- By keeping this as a starting point, drive the elbows behind the trunk and pull the dumbbells towards the trunk until the elbows reach it.
- Now slowly lower the dumbbells and come back to the starting point and repeat it.